Medical IDs for Malignant Hyperthermia
The confidence to live with malignant hyperthermia
Malignant hyperthermia is a rare syndrome, occurring in only 1 in 5,000 to 50,000 instances in which people are given anesthesia. Without proper identification and access to emergency medical records that MedicAlert provides, the condition may be overlooked in the event of an emergency. If an individual undergoing an emergency has malignant hyperthermia susceptibility and is treated with traditional anesthesia, serious complications can occur, possibly even death.
Another reason to ensure first responders have the information they need about your condition is that MH can be brought on by vigorous exercise.
Medical IDs for malignant hyperthermia alert medical professionals of your susceptibility to MH so that correct treatment can be delivered when it matters most.
How MedicAlert protects those living with malignant hyperthermia
One thing you shouldn’t worry about is what could happen if there’s an emergency. MedicAlert’s protection plans offer benefits that extend beyond the ID, providing safety and peace of mind for people living with susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia, their families and caregivers.
24/7 Emergency Response
Our team provides first responders the information they need to provide fast, accurate care.
Digital Health Profile
All your vital information, all in one place for you and your caregiver.
Emergency Contact Notification
In an emergency, we connect families so that no one is alone in a crisis.
Share the information that’s important to your care, such as use of rescue medications or contraindication for tests like MRIs.
Pair a medical ID for malignant hyperthermia with the protection plan that’s right for you.
What is malignant hyperthermia?
What triggers malignant hyperthermia?
Malignant hyperthermia triggers include anesthetic gasses such as halothane, desflurane, sevoflurane, and succinylcholine.
Individuals affected by this syndrome may never know they have the condition, unless they experience a severe reaction to anesthesia during surgery or if they get tested for it.
People who are susceptible to this syndrome may be at greater risk for awake malignant hyperthermia. This is another type of MH that is triggered by physical exercise (often while the person is sick), instead of exposure to a triggering anesthetic drug.
Malignant hyperthermia can be triggered in people that do not have other pre-existing conditions. However, genetic muscle diseases including STAC3 disorder, central core disease, and multiminicore disease are associated with the disorder.
What to engrave on your MedicAlert medical ID for malignant hyperthermia:
MedicAlert offers free custom engraving on all our malignant hyperthermia bracelets and medical ID products. The engraving on your medical ID for malignant hyperthermia should include any critical medical information that can protect and save your life if you are in an accident or have a medical emergency, for example:
- Malignant Hyperthermia or MH-susceptible
- No volatile anesthetics/no succinylcholine
- Consider including the number for the MH Hotline for medical providers: MHAUS 800-644-9737
- Severe allergies
- Medications you’re taking
- Other medical conditions
- Anything that will help first responders treat you in an emergency
Sample engraving. Consult our team if you need help engraving your medical ID for malignant hyperthermia.
Is malignant hyperthermia genetic?
Yes, if one parent has the gene for malignant hyperthermia, the child has a 50% chance of inheriting MH susceptibility. Most people with genetic muscle conditions like Central Core Disease or Multi-Minicore disease are at greater risk of MH.
We’re proud to partner with the MHAUS Foundation to provide tools and resources to help people with asthma and allergies live better lives.
How medical IDs for malignant hyperthermia combined with MedicAlert Membership helps people living with malignant hyperthermia
Living with malignant hyperthermia (MH) susceptibility or having a family member with the syndrome can be scary, as it can hinder your sense of security and wellbeing. But with proper treatment and planning, being susceptible to malignant hyperthermia does not have to mean living a life of fear and insecurity.
- We’re your voice: If you can’t speak for yourself due to a seizure or other medical emergency, your malignant hyperthermia bracelet will speak for you – informing others about your malignant hyperthermia and any medications you’re taking.
- 24/7 emergency protection: In an emergency, the MedicAlert team will relay all of your critical medical information to first responders, no matter where or when your emergency happens.
- Always connected: You should never be alone in an emergency. That’s why MedicAlert will reach out to your designated contacts if you are unable to do so.
- Live with peace of mind and confidence: MedicAlert will be there for you every step of the way. You’ll have the confidence and freedom to live your life with malignant hyperthermia, knowing we’ve got you covered.